Can my spouse study in Australia on a Student Dependent Visa?

Adult family members who are here on a Student Dependent Visa are only permitted to study for three months (full or part time), after which they must apply for their own Student Visa and satisfy. Spouses who wish to undertake formal study for longer than three months in Australia need to meet all institutional admission requirements including English language testing, and will have to pay international student tuition fees. For more information on studying in Australia, visit the website.

What happens if my child is born in Australia?

Be sure to take birth registration documents (Birth Certificate, Birth Registration Form) along with your and your spouse’s passports to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) to add your child’s details to your travel documents. Failure to do so may create complications should your family plan to leave and return to Australia during the course of your studies. Please note: Regardless of whether or not your child is born in Australia, they will automatically inherit the citizenship of their parents. Also see:

Pregnancy information

What is the law regarding the safety of babies and children in cars?

From 9 November 2009 there will be some changes to Victoria’s road safety rules. These changes include new rules for the use of child restraints and booster seats in vehicles.

The new rules for using child restraints and booster seats

Starting 9 November 2009, children under seven years of age must wear a child restraint or booster seat when travelling in a car for improved safety.

The type of restraint will depend on the age of the child as follows:

  • Children aged under six months must wear an approved, properly fastened and adjusted, rear facing child restraint
  • Children aged between six months and under four years must wear an approved, properly fastened and adjusted, rear facing child restraint OR a forward facing child restraint with an in-built harness
  • Children aged between four years and under seven must wear an approved, properly fastened and adjusted, forward facing child restraint with an in-built harness OR an approved booster seat which is properly positioned and fastened.

There are also new laws for where children can sit in vehicles.

  • If a car has two or more rows of seats, then children under four years must not travel in the front seat
  • If all seats, other than the front seats, are being used by children under seven years, children aged between four and six years (inclusive) may travel in the front seat, provided they use an approved restraint or booster seat.

Can I leave my children at home unattended?

Children need to be developmentally ready to assume the responsibility of being left at home alone. Try and seek alternative options (such as formal childcare or a babysitter) before leaving a child alone. Parents are expected to make reasonable decisions about their children’s safety and it is essential that you take into account factors such as the age and maturity of the child, how long you will be absent from the home, the ability of the child to seek help in an emergency and to contact you if needed.

In many cultures, it may be common for children to care for brothers and sisters. While different societies have different customs, in Victoria, there is a legal obligation for parents to make sure that children are properly looked after.

Do not leave infants, toddlers or young children alone under any circumstance.